Travel with children
10 Good Reasons and Tips for Including Children in Your Travels
- Your children are a fast changing, intimate part of your life. Precious experiences and adventure especially in other countries will forever enrich each members shared memory before life claims them beyond your family unit.
- Abroad, children are often a disarming ice-breaker and can evoke warm offers of help or greetings from the locals.
- Peace of mind comes in knowing where and how your children are doing-- and no angst engendered if they had been left to be minded by relatives or family.
- Carry a supply of anti-bacterial spray/wash. This can also be used for cleaning the tooth brushes if you are traveling to underdeveloped nations.
- Drink only bottled water in such countries-- especially concerning the kids.
- Child sized equipment needs to be checked. Overseas may not have correct helmets for water or snow skiing, horse-back and bike riding. Be sure car seats for toddlers and babies meet international standards.
- Avoid one huge bag. This becomes too cumbersome over time. Car trunks/boots and doorways abroad can be smaller than one is accustomed to at home. Get bags with wheels and extendable handles.
- Have the kids carry something -- even a three year old can carry a back-pack boarding a plane. Spread the burden around and the kids will like doing their part- makes the parents happy too!
- Airline safety in terms of air-borne germs is actually good. Re-cycled air ( with anti-bacterial filters )is in blocks of 5 seats thus germs cannot be easily spread throughout an entire plane.
- Pain in your child's ears due to pressure changes on take-offs and landings can be greatly eased simply by 'earPlanes' – soft, safe earplugs that equalize pressure on both sides of the eardrum and are available at most pharmacies.